Just released: NYPD update on the 2nd device found on West 27th Street. #ChelseaExplosion #NYC:
This represents a great result for the investigation. Officers will have complete components to examine and follow back to procurement and manufacture.
Earlier Press Conference: New York City Officials held a press conference about at noon today to update the public on Chelsea explosions last night.
The Mayor, FBI, FDNY & NYPD we present and advised a controlled detention will occur later today at a secure police facility. The two devices located are described as Improvised Explosives Devices (IED).
All information is preliminary:
- All 29 people injured last evening in the Chelsea explosion have been released from the hospital.
- Anyone that was in the area of W23St & W27St last evening and has information we ask that you call #800577TIPS.
- There are two active crime scenes: West 23 Street and West 27 Street. The device that exploded on W23St was done intentionally.
- There is currently a complex investigation ongoing involving numerous NYPD units & partner agencies including FBI, ATF, JTTF & NYS Police.
- Preliminary evidence of the device that exploded at West 23 Street suggests it was an improvised explosive device (IED)
- The suspicious device on W27St was safely removed earlier this morning by NYPD Bomb Squad to a secure police facility.
- The buildings in the area were checked by @FDNY & @NYCBuildings and deemed to be structurally stable.
- The NYPD Bomb Squad is currently analyzing the West 27 Street device at a secure NYPD facility in the Bronx.
- The device on W27St was initially found by responding NYS Police troopers.
- Video footage has been recovered and is continuing to be reviewed. It is an active investigation.
- The specific design/components of the device that exploded on W23St is being investigated.
- Again, we urge and remind everyone, if you have any information on the Chelsea explosion share it by calling #800577TIPS
- NYPD controlled detonation activity is scheduled to occur today, 9/18, from 4:30 PM – 6:30 PM, near Rodman’s Neck in the Bronx.